Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Honduras--the people

Matt and I just returned from an intensely inspiring mission trip to Honduras.
This particular entry will highlight the people of the town--Subirana, Honduras.  I am incapable of articulating how much the residents/community/team have expanded our lives…
A neighbor--she was pointing to her mom

Coffee bean pickers on pay day, Friday.  Depending on age and experience, a worker can earn the equivalent of $5.00 to $7.50 per DAY. (100-150 Lempiras--Honduran currency)


This January, the Honduran government declared a national emergency.  The Coffee Rust Plague has destroyed a quarter of the coffee plants.  There will be fewer workers needed.



A young boy 
Young girl coloring
Although not pictured, many young adults enjoyed the activity too.
A family watching the market activities…
Boys taking a break from play.  
Dude is 93!  His secret (yes, I asked)--"Don't get mad and don't worry."  I also think his 6:00 a.m. exercise, chopping wood, contributes to his longevity! 
The four amigos…
Love between brother and sister!
young girl on the playground
The soccer kid
Son of the cowboy below
He has excellent horse riding skills!
Doesn't he have a beautiful face?
I don't normally take photos of people, but I was captivated by their faces.  I asked permission to take photos of each person(s), and most (okay, really, ALL) loved looking at their images on the screen.  

Clayton, the group coordinator, brought a photo printer with him.  Brilliant!  I printed a few photos and gave them to "the subjects"…soon, people were asking us to take their photo so they could have a print of themselves.  (Although some Hondurans have phones with camera, they aren't able to print them.)

Clayton and the "magic machine"
If I could, I would definitely pack a photo printer for every "other country" experience.   It was beyond fun to give that gift!  Thank you, Clayton, for making it possible!  

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! It's very beautiful people ever I seen it. Wonderful experience you and Matt visit in Honduras, very impressed :) Glad both you had great time and enjoyed!!! Pictures are so amazing ;)

    ReplyDelete