Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Sea Turtle release

How could the event be “bad”?!  It couldn't be!  Okay, so it was a “bit” crowded, but the volunteers tried to “show” the turtles to the crowd before releasing them.  Most of the sea turtles had been cold-stunned and rescued from various beaches during the “odd snap of extremely frigid temperatures”.  Now that the Gulf is a bit warmer, it was time to put the mature dudes and dudettes back into the water.
This will be a “heavy” photo-laden entry (Yeah, I know, which one isn’t?).  However, I cannot help myself; the expressions and demeanors of the sea turtles were…What is the word?  Oh yeah, “PRICELESS!”  Some turtles were obviously mortified; they were being carried out to the water in front of HUNDREDS of people.  Others seemed to have resigned themselves to the indignity and chose expressions of aloof boredom.  Still other turtles, who were clearly too young to have experienced this person-handling before, were jubilant!  They were going HOME!!!  (I am certain some of the volunteers have bruises where the turtles’ madly excited "flapping of flippers" repeatedly hit their forearms.)

I hope you enjoy the photos as much as Matthew and I do!  The experience will be remembered as one of our favorites!  (Oh, you have NO IDEA how difficult it was to restrain myself from writing "turtle comments" for each of the amazing reptiles pictured below!)
part of the crowd waiting to watch the release





The turtles are normally released just beyond the first breakers.






The biggest one released
About a third of the turtle convoy…it was a thrill to see so many volunteers and vehicles dedicated to saving and releasing the turtles.




2 comments:

  1. I enjoy look turtle pictures and video, so amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, are these leatherback turtles? I just got a book in the Library about that species, I will have to take time to read it so I can identify them. Did any of the turtles tell you where they were going? Dude! Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete