Sunday, May 4, 2014

New York City, NY

May 3rd--Matthew's birthday and an inspiring reconnection with Julie, Matt's cousin.   
She has "matured"a bit from the last time I saw her...Julie was only 5, I think.  It was great fun to see her again after...lets see, 29 years.  SMILES!!!  (Sorry, Julie!  However, you, my dear niece, will be beautiful at any age!)  
Oddly enough, if I had seen Julie on the street, I would have immediately recognized her as the strong young girl she was in Taiwan.  Yes, really!  Although she has added significantly to her skill-set, knowledge-base, and height, her bright eyes and smile are identical to those of her kindergarten-self.  
It was good to get to know her again and to meet her equally interesting and entertaining husband, Mike.  Thank you both for spending time with Matthew and me!  (AND, please pass on "Howdys" to your friends--Lani, Jen, Jess, and Blake.  It was fun to talk with them too!)
Matthew, Julie, and Mike 
Matthew enjoyed his birthday--hanging with his cousin, eating some delicious Chinese food, strolling (or rather navigating around people) on New York City sidewalks, and going on an architectural tour through Green-Wood Cemetery.   
The guide was knowledgable...I didn't have a clue!  (I think a person needed to be a native New Yorker to make all the name-connections.)  That being said, I did enjoy it.  (Yes, Matt too.)  The gravestones and tombs were quite impressive.  


This was one of my favorites!

Put this photo in for you, Kristen!
 I did understand that the entrance gate was a gothic design--
(Still couldn't tell you the name of the New York architectural person(s) who designed it....)
Oh, but there are some beautiful monk parakeets nesting in the highest spire.  
(I think, Sandy, we would have had to leave you and your binoculars at the entrance!) 

Matthew and I also got to enjoy spring in New York City!  The trees--gorgeous!  
After leaving NYC and West Point, Matthew and I will head back west to friends and family in the Midwest.  I hope it warms up...
Oh, and yes, Matthew says he had a WONDERFUL birthday!  Thank you to everyone who sent emails, cards, and best wishes!  

Trees, tour group, and chapel


Okay, yes, it is NOT my favorite color.  But dang, the flowers are beautiful!




1 comment:

  1. Glad you had wonderful time in NYC!!!! It's beautiful city :) Pretty pink flowers, Susan I know it not your favorite color.

    ReplyDelete