Monday, September 29, 2014

On the way to Davis Mts. State Park, TX

Matthew and I are in Austin, Texas, tonight.  It has been a nice trip south...okay, other than the heat.  And yes, I am going to say it--"I am HOT!"  I am hoping that the mountains will be a bit cooler--smiles!
Before leaving Iowa, Matthew was able to see his sweet girlfriend, Jasmine.
Matt and Jazzy outside the movie theater
We were also able to visit very good friends in Iowa City.  Thank you, Diane and Jill for sharing your home, your energy, and your friendship...I love you all!!  Sending positives and strength--daily.
Jill, Jorgito, Jenny, and Diane
Again, the drive to Fort Davis has been nice.  I've missed driving the midwest during the fall.  Although the trees have not yet turned the riot of autumn colors, the end-of-summer green is also beautiful.  Most of the corn and soybean fields look ready for harvest.  All the crops looked "good"; hopefully, that will mean a bountiful harvest for the farmers.
Golden Soybeans

Corn field in Kansas


We stopped at The Wizard of Oz Museum in Wamego, KS.  There, Matt met some old friends--
Either Matt isn't an actor, or the witch isn't that frightening!
Matthew and I drove the blue highways until Oklahoma City.  After that, I thought we would make better time in Texas if we "bullied onto" the interstate.  Wrong!  With all of the construction, drivers were even more aggressive than anticipated.  The traffic slowed to a stand-still in many of the one-lane areas because drivers didn't want to allow others to merge.  From now on, I think Matthew and I will drive Walden (the latest test name for the RV) on the less-frequently-used roads.  SMILES!

After our appointment at Sportsmobile in Austin, we drove through the Hill Country and are now in the Big Bend Country. (Fort Stockton, Texas, to be specific)  Yes, Texas is big enough to have large named and recognized regional areas.

We did stop to see a ranger friend, Diane, at the Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park.  (Matthew and I loved working with her at Toklat in Denali.)  We went on the guided tour of the Texas White House (LBJ's ranch); I would highly recommend it.  *Thanks for the heads-up on that one, Dad!
We will be at our new place of residence tomorrow sometime.  Both of us--EXCITED!

No comments:

Post a Comment