Saturday, June 15, 2013

The quick-catch-up summary




Okay, I am starting with a summary-- 
Matt and I finally started out June 3, 2013.  The RV was repaired--how anyone could have backed into the huge granny-support-hoses-colored RV is beyond me, but at least his insurance company paid for the repairs.
First stop--North Platte, NE.  What can I say, the storm clouds demanded that we stop and set-up.
After that, we were fortunate enough to have some quality time with great friends--Jen and Tom and the girls (Cocoa and Barley) in Colorado Springs, CO.  We spent time walking and talking--for those of you who know me, that shouldn't be a surprise.  For those of you who know Jen, it is a given!  The trip to the mining museum and rock shop was EXCELLENT.  I had to remind Matt that we couldn't buy any rocks.  No wait, that is what I was telling myself!  The food was FANTASTIC too; my tummy (and Matt's) still remember...
For the weekend, Matt and I went to Sunshine Canyon (northwest of Boulder) to visit another friend, Parvati.  Parvati, a self-proclaimed hippie, introduced us to the world of living large on very little (money).  Thank you!  We, again, took long walks and explored the historic little town of Gold Hill.  One evening we visited the neighboring ashram and participated in the service--definitely an interesting first.  After dropping her off at the library, on our return to Colorado Springs, I remembered again how much I enjoyed the alternative city of Boulder...It is staying on my list of places to revisit.  As for Parvati, we will meet again--either in this country or another!
Jen deployed on Monday--Matt and I send love daily, dear one.  
Tom took two days to make sure our RV was outfitted with all the necessary safety gear...Okay, seriously, he was amazingly successful given that I fought against adding even another ounce to our supplies.  Thank you, Tom.  You are the best!
We left Wednesday morning, the 12th.  The four forest fires in Colorado were blazing; fortunately, Tom had already started the list of evacuation gear and goods.  I understand, from Jen that the area in which they live is at “pre-evacuation” stage…I hope the wind stays in your favor, Tom.
The trip down to Moab was a delightful surprise!  I decided to take Hwy 128—excellent and absolutely gorgeous! There were numerous national forest camping areas (those closest to Moab were bustling, but the others quiet and unpopulated); I inked-in these campgrounds as “definite stays”.  Nope, no pictures, it was too grand to capture digitally. 


Our first night HOME--Matt was happy about the RV...not so much about the salad for dinner. SMILES!  

1 comment:

  1. SUE AND MATT!!!
    Katie gave me the link to your blog and I am eagerly catching up. I am excited for you both and cannot wait to find out what your journeys brought and what they will bring!!
    XO!
    Susie L. :)

    ReplyDelete