Tuesday, November 12, 2013

On the way to, time there, and driving on…LA, CA

"The way to" was uniquely beautiful.  Matt and I had become accustomed to lush green.  The introduction of tan, brown, gray…different, but not unappreciated.
 Landscapes on Hwy 101 down to Ventura, CA.  (Thanks, Pacha! It was a great city; we enjoyed it!)


After a wonderful late lunch in Ventura, Matt and I climbed back into the RV to cruise the last 90 miles to Elizabeth's home.  According the GPS, the drive looked straight forward.  I ignorantly thought it would be an easy drive.  ("Ignorantly" may be a weak adverb.)  Okay, you would think, 90 miles=maybe 2 hours…No, not in LA, during rush hour, the Friday before a long weekend…90 miles=5 hours, significantly more gray hair, a migraine, a sweat-soaked T-shirt, a pale-faced son, a white-knuckled mommy, and two unhappily full bladders!  I did try the car-pool lane for a bit…at least until I noticed a long stretch of emptiness in front of me and a very long line of restless vehicles behind me.  (Okay, to be fair, I was only able "comfortably" drive 35 mph, so I can understand the horns, fingers, and fist shaking from the drivers who passed me after I moved back into the "no-go" lane.)
NOW, for the good part--family!  We were spoiled rotten by Elizabeth (Matthew's second "Mom") and Phyllis (Matthew's father's sister).  We ate well, yakked, and generally had a relaxing and loving time.  I was able to talk with Phyllis' children (my nieces and nephew) on the phone--Salena, Zahra, and Marco.  Thank you, Elizabeth and Phyllis…it was a wonderful visit!  We love you!
Phyllis, Matthew, and Elizabeth
Tonight, we are at Joshua Tree National Park.  We will drive through the park tomorrow on our way to visit Tom, Ruth, Billy, and Ruby in Phoenix, AZ.  Whatcha think?  Maybe we should start at 7:00 a.m…6:00?
Hwy 62 on the way to Joshua Tree National Park


1 comment:

  1. Matt, you have wonderful family!!! Phoenix, AZ is beautiful area. Be safe :)

    ReplyDelete