Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Redwoods National and State Parks

WOW!  The trees were amazing!  Not just because of their physical size and shape, but because the trees/forest/groves "encourage" a spiritual connection.  We were fortunate to meet a number of the uber-magnificent.  Here, let me introduce you to a couple--
Name: Big Tree
Height: 304 feet
Diameter: 21.6 feet
Age: 1500 years...
Name: Grandfather Tree
Height: 265 feet
Diameter: 24 feet
Age: 1800 years...
Our favorite park was Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park; it is home to the Stout Memorial Grove.  The movies Jurassic Park and Star Wars (Return of the Jedi) were both filmed there.  
Looking way, way up!
I tried to tell Matthew that we couldn't bring it home--smiles!
Matthew with some of the "babies". (Matt is lower left center on the  path.)
Matthew is standing in front of the tree on the right.
Impossible for my camera to capture the whole tree...
We ended up in Crescent City Park for two days.  It was still cool enough to want a space heater at night, so we needed to plug into electric.  At Crescent City, we ran into a woman who, along with her husband, keeps the lighthouse.  She and I share an interest--"discovering words".  So, while searching for whales in the bay, our backs to the lighthouse, she googled different phrases and words used for groups of animals.
A group of hummingbirds=a shimmering or a glitter.  
A group of jays=a scold.  
A group of birds (sorry, I don't remember the species) that float in the water together and dive for fish simultaneously=a water dancing.
Anyway, it was a fun connection.  Sadly, no whale sightings.
Battery Point Lighthouse (Built in 1856) 
Most of the state parks this far north have closed for the season.  It isn't a bad thing, there are fewer people around, and Matt and I could sing and dance along the paths.  (No, not that we do it often, but I am telling you, these tree "cast a spell" of rapture and awe.) The one small town RV park we camped in was next to a river--
Great Redwood RV Park
We would definitely stay here again!
The tiny towns along the Redwood Hwy are definitely unique to this area.  Many of the businesses maintain their 1960/70s signage and the odd-duck-tourism-feel from that time period.  One place, The Trees of Mystery and Sky Trail at Klamath, was "fine".  But the gem of the business, was the free museum in the back of the gift shop--AWESOME!  I do not think I have ever seen such a diverse and extensive display of tribal pieces.
A few of the baskets in the "free museum" collection


Other "tourist stops"


The Shrine Drive-thru Tree Auto Park (one of three along the Avenue of the Giants)
A treehouse--not in a tree, but OF a tree.  These were actually way flippin cool! 
Where in the world is Matthew Trucano?  This is the famous--One Log House!
It seems as though everyone, and his/her brother, carves logs with chainsaws.  Supposedly, the man who created this piece is the "master"--Sandoval.  Although I am not able to appreciate this kind of art, I do give a head-nod to a bear that drinks coffee.  
After 4 days, it was time to continue south.  Again, the foliage was amazing; it still is!  At this point, I am just plain giddy!  Seriously, I have had months of fall color!  As we travelled south, even the low growing plants were gorgeous--orange, yellow, red, lime green, etc.  Sorry, couldn't find a place to pull-over without someone running into my back end.  We did try the less trafficked Hwy 1 for part of the trip to San Francisco...It was not a successful.  This is the first time I was nauseous WHILE driving.  Matt and I both decided it would be better to travel on Hwy 101.  Before hitting the "busy south-bound section," I was able to take some pictures of vineyards in the Sonoma Valley.
We only stayed near San Francisco one night.  I pointed out the Golden Gate Bridge to Matthew as we flew by...maybe, we will see something the next time.  Maybe...SMILES!
We are now in Monterey.  (I am not sorry to have missed San Francisco; this town/city is worth a minimum of 3 days.)
Thank you for coming along for the ride!  I hope this finds all of you well and happy!
Smiles and love,
Susan and Matthew

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan and Matt, I too have tread the path of the giant redwoods. I must share an experience, Bruce wanted to um, how to say this...steal a cone/seed of a redwood. Because I had a purse, he tried to stuff it inside, gosh it was too big! Darn, I won't be able to assist in your larceny. Guess what! The seed he wanted was from a sugar pine, not the redwood. The redwood seed was no bigger than a lime. We giggled as we walked and suddenly I heard something, what! The whistling of incoming mortar, dive! dive! Hit the dirt! It seems we had disturbed one of the critters living high in the Redwoods and it decided to drop a cone down the 100 feet to see if it could score points in the pin ball game of life. Whew, just missed me as it exploded on the ground! Payback for our dastardly plan? I wonder?

    ReplyDelete