Saturday, March 22, 2014

Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument, NM

This too was an amazing day. The drive on Hwy 15—breathtaking.  Now, mind you, it is not for the weak-of-stomach.  If I hadn’t been driving, I would have been “visiting the side of the road”--often!  I tried taking some pictures, but the splendor and vastness refused capture. 

The Cliff Dwellings were built by ancient Puebloan people from the Mogollon area.  (Different from the Puebloan people further north.)  There were originally about 40 rooms built inside five natural caves.

This area was later home to the Apache who migrated to the upper Gila River in the 1500s.  The legendary leader, Geronimo (Goyahkla), was born near the headwaters in the 1820s.

Okay, I know, enough history.  It is just fun to read and see how everything ties together--places and names from early social studies classes come roaring back and facts connect with other knowns.  I think it is nice that some things we were taught in grade school are worth remembering.
Gila Cliff Dwelling
The photo below--looking out the cave
Looking back across the largest cave
Structures in the smaller second cave--notable "T" window/door shape
Gorgeous, but like I said, it doesn't touch the reality of the view
I was standing in the same spot, just focusing in a different area.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, caves so amazing. I agree, both views so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete