Saturday, March 8, 2014

Padre Island--trash and beauty

We left Padre Island, for the last time, this morning.  (Or at least "the last time" for the foreseeable future.)  It was a sad farewell.  Matthew and I not only enjoyed our stay, we also felt productive.
We collected 73 garbage bags of litter/trash/junk/debris.  Sadly, it was collected within only a two mile area of beach and dunes.  I know the current will bring in more, but at least we left the island cleaner than we found it.
This is some of the garbage we had to pile…not enough bags that day.  The toothbrushes still confuse me; I bet we collected more than 50.  What do people do?  Why would someone brush their teeth and then throw the toothbrush overboard?  We did not find many toothpaste tubes…Do they use the paste on a finger? PLEASE if anyone has an answer, satisfy my curiosity!
Matt marching down the section we had already cleaned.

Matt is the second nut from the right.  Some fun loving people created this "shrine" using some of the trash in the dunes.  This was too cute to bag!










The BEAUTIFUL Padre Island National Seashore!

Clean beach and sunshine!
A squadron of brown pelicans
A deer enjoying the recently cleaned dunes--smiles! 
Nope, never swam in it…there are sharks.  (Yes, really!)
Matt signing "his beach"!

1 comment:

  1. I like those pictures!!! I glad you didn't swam! I love "third" middle Matt was smile.

    ReplyDelete