Friday, April 11, 2014

National Museum of Funeral History Houston, TX

"Unique national treasures and the country's largest display of funeral service memorabilia."

Really it was not macabre!

This is what Matthew learned during his visit to the museum--
(I will type his comments...)
1. I learned about the Pope after he dies.
2. I learned about the small pistol used by John Wilkes Booth.
3. I learned that President Abraham Lincoln's body was sent home to Illinois by train.
4. I liked the money casket.  I liked the Ghana coffins.
5. I saw Snow White's glass coffin.
6. I watched a video by a little person in the movie Wizard of Oz.  She talked about the death of the wicked witch.

There was quite a variety of information and materials related to death rites.  The museum scored a 4.8/5 on google review--I agree with the rating!

National Museum of Funeral History


Silver hearse on the top left, carried Princess Grace's body.

These old carriage hearses are original.

Ghana coffins--leek, fish, crab, chicken, motor..

Matthew's favorite--money coffin (It did have $1000.00 in currency on and in the coffin.  Someone stole a panel, so it now has $630.00 some...)

1 comment:

  1. Matt, I enjoy your with your comments :) about history and your favorite money coffin, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete