Saturday, October 25, 2014

Feeding the birds

One of our first jobs in the morning is to feed the birds!  (See what I mean?  Is it a "job" or a "joy"?)
A favorite of many of the birds is the suet we make and put into the holed-split-wood.
I thought I would share the recipe--

DAVIS MOUNTAINS STATE PARK
SUET RECIPE
Ingredients:
*1 cup smooth peanut butter
*1 cup lard
*1 cup flour
*4 cups cornmeal

1.  Mix peanut butter and lard together.
2.  Add flour and mix well.
3.  Add cornmeal 2 cups at a time and mix well.   When weather is cold, add less cornmeal.  When    
     weather is warm, add more.
4.  Store in air-tight, critter-proof container.
We were heading over to do some painting after feeding the birds--
hence, no volunteer-nice-clothes
The feeder is just a halved log. This picture was taken after we had filled all the drilled holes.
The birds generally have this emptied within a couple of hours.
I am certain you are all very impressed that I am able to follow a recipe...Even more impressive...wait for it...I have it memorized!  After making about 6 batches, I am now able to do it without looking at the recipe!  Now, aren't you amazed?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting recipe for birds!! Enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete