Saturday, October 11, 2014

Small towns around Davis Mts. State Park

We have been fortunate; Matt and I have been able to explore the towns and area around the park.  The people have been very friendly, and I have been pleasantly surprised by unique opportunities, inspiring landscapes, interesting architecture, cute shops (including an organic grocery store), and an infamous restaurant...
LANDSCAPES
Gorgeous rock formations--yes, lava flow 
Sawtooth Mountain
ARCHITECTURE (I love small town government buildings!)
Marfa city hall--population of 2100 
Fort Davis city hall--population of 1800
Indian Lodge--built by the CCC and opened in 1939
UNIQUE OPPORTUNITIES
We are thinking about doing some "gliding"... (Shhhh, don't tell my Mom.)
Marfa gliders

The owner of one of the cute shops we went to, The Brown Dog, invited me to a ukulele jam!  (Oh, I should say, I got a ukulele for my birthday.)  I don't know how much "jamming" I can do, but I think it will be GREAT fun!

RESTAURANTS
One fun restaurant, in Alpine (population 5900 and the home of Sul Ross State University), was parked near the town laundry--
Only open Wednesday to Sunday...They do have a veggie dog!
Oh, and of course, there are real cows in these here parts too--
Hope you are all having a wonderful week of joyous surprises!
Smiles and oodles of love,
Susan and Matt

1 comment:

  1. interesting, never see cow dog before.....sawtooth mountain so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete