Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Ottumwa, Iowa & Mom and Dad

Matthew and I had a great "almost-a-week" with Mom and Dad.  You know, it was that perfect combination of being productive and having enough time to play.  (That being said, I could ALWAYS happily spend more time at "home"!)
Quick run down on productivity (if I can't tout the work, it seems less...well, of an accomplishment--SMILES): Matthew and I took everything out of the RV, detailed it, cleaned the packed items, and reorganized.  All that was completed in 7 hours; not bad for spring cleaning, if I say so myself.  (Now, disregard that the project required a few days to complete!)
Play?  Here we go--all accompanied by photos, of course!
Mom prepared a delicious meal and invited my brother, John, and his family (Jen, Melody, and Noah) over for dinner.  It was great to have time with you and yours, John...well, okay, not enough time!
Playing gameboy with Noah
We also visited and decorated family graves in the Ottumwa area.
My father's maternal grandparents
My great grandparents
Matt's great great grandparents
Mom, Dad, Matthew and I also went to see the American Gothic House in Eldon, Iowa.  Did you know that this painting (American Gothic), by Grant Wood, is the second most identified painting in the world?  The first, and most easily identified painting by people world-wide, is the Mona Lisa.
This is a photo, of a copy, of the famous painting in the museum at the Gothic House in Eldon.  The original is exhibited in the Art Institute of Chicago 
Mom and Dad--their first attempt at taking a selfie in front of the American Gothic House.
We also visited the graves of some famous (or should that be infamous?) area chiefs.

Chief Wapello--Sac and Fox Nations

Chief Blackhawk--Sac and Fox Nation
Some of the beauty of Iowa--

Photos  from the Iowaville Cemetery

Matthew and I are now in Council Bluffs, Iowa/Omaha, Nebraska.  We will be leaving here tomorrow...again, it has been a wonderful visit.  Will blog about that in a day or two...or three.  SMILES!  We hope you are all well, safe, and happy!

1 comment:

  1. It's great both you visit your parents/grandparents and your brother :)

    ReplyDelete