Friday, October 4, 2013

Bear!!!!!

Okay, this was our first MAJOR, close-encounter.  Matt and I were doing "our cruise," along the Chilkoot River, when I noticed movement on the shore nearest the road.  Like any curious driver, I pulled over, rolled down the passenger window, and stretched across to look out.  
The mother had just caught a large fish.  Her cub was coming in from the right side of the frame.
She and her cub headed out toward the middle of the river.
I thought to myself--"Self, that was DANG cool!!!"  That is, until she turned around to head up the embankment toward our RV.  Then, of course, I lost it.  I couldn't figure out how to close Matt's window!!  I yelled (quietly) "Get your window up! Get your window up! Get your window up!!!"  Thankfully, as the mom grazed the front of our RV, Matt had the window up.  (Not sure it was much of a safeguard, but...)

Mom and fish through the windshield
By the time I "got my wits,"and the camera "recharged," the two were happily across the road. 
Sorry about the quality of the photos; it was well past dusk, and my hands were shaking.  It really was both a terrifying and exhilarating experience.  
So, I started to breathe again and slowly pulled back onto the road.  Matt and I turned to each other and smiled.  Then, in his typical Matt-fashion, he commented, "You know Mom, you only needed to pull up on this, and the window would go up."  I think he was lucky I needed both hands to drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment