Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Haines--The town

Haines is one of the twelve "America's Best Small Towns!"--awarded by Executive Travel.
It was established "as a town" in 1910; however, people have lived here much longer.  (The earliest date I noticed on one tombstones--1897.)
Enough of the macabre and general history (smiles!), I thought it might be fun to introduce you to Haines through pictures...
You can see the termination dust ("a light high altitude snowfall that indicates the end of summer") on the mountains...That was already there when we arrived in Haines this time.  Temperatures have been above freezing, so far--40s and 50s.
You are viewing the town from a pull-out on the way back from Chilkoot Lake. At the river running from the lake, we have seen/watched 4 brown bear. (Science labels both the brown bear and grizzly as the same species.  However, many residents in Haines are firmly in the "we have brown bear here" camp.  Me?  I don't plan to argue.  The bears are BIG; that will always be my "focus"!)
An adolescent brown bear was in the campground Monday night.  Luckily, I had my headphones on listening to a movie, so I didn't hear the ruckus.  (The dogs were madly barking.)  I may have to wear headphones every night!  I prefer to maintain a level of ignorance.  SMILES!

This is our "campground"--Oceanside RV Park.  I am looking back on our RV from the ocean.  The gray building houses all the necessities--restroom/shower, laundry, and a dry space to yak with fellow campers and the proprietor.  Joyce, the owner, is an awesome woman and has been very supportive--thank you!

This view we see while looking left from our RV (tide is out).  We have bald eagles that hang out on the rocks and in the tree directly behind our home.  They often wake me with their unique song...a "skitching" (Yes, sorry, made-up the word!)

The small boat harbor is to the right of the RV park.  Matt and I wander down and dream of owning a boat.  (Okay, yes, it is silly given my motion-sickness...but it would be interesting!)
Bright blue building is the
Hungry Moose--Great coffee!

Looking down the same street from a higher perspective. Bright blue building on the left--The American Legion.

Our campground is just to the left of the red building at the end of the street.  This is one of the few restaurant/bars that is open year around.

Matt and I were thrilled!!!  The first day in Haines, we walked to the Eagle Foundation to ask for volunteer work.  Three men were busy erecting the new totem poles--quite a feat and definitely a cause for celebration!  The Foundation was preparing for the Museums and Historical societies of Alaska conference.  The town, normally 2500 people, increased to over 2650. (Yes, it really did make a visible difference!)  We were able to pitch-in immediately.  Matt and I vacuumed, mopped, and cleaned bathrooms.  

This is the very popular Haines Library.  Here, Matt and I were able to "go through" the CD collection and replace broken case and re-alphabetize as needed.  I hope they will have another project for us this week.

What town would be complete without a Hammer Museum?
The owner and collector!
We were fortunate that he had the museum open during the conference.  It really is a very unique place! Who knew that there are so many different kinds of hammers?
More utilitarian than beautiful, this is the Chilkat Center for the Arts.  Here, Matthew and I went to a music concert.  I couldn't help myself; I was intrigued by the name of the group--Hot Club of Cowtown.  I was not as impressed by the music--it was a bit too twangy.  We also attended a "cultural event"--two of the local authors read parts from their new books.  I will definitely read Heather Lende's book--If You Lived Here, I Would Know Your Name.  She started her writing career as an obituary writer.  If I lived here, I would want her to write mine.  Local musicians also played that night--fun.  (Oh, Jen, one musician played a few of Peter Mayer's songs!)  In addition, there was a silent auction.  Matt bid for, and got, a beautiful carved wooden raven by Tresham Gregg (one of the local and prolific artists).  I got a massage--smiles!  Oh, I should report--Haines is very proud to have the highest percentage of artists for a town with a population under 10,000.  Art galleries are EVERYWHERE!
The raven...I have no clue where to put this--smiles!

Sheldon Museum and Cultural Center.  We just went in today to ask for work.   It is a wonderful little museum and the reason the conference was in Haines.  

This is the Bamboo Room and Pioneer Bar--the establishment was operational in 1890.  (A side note--they serve veggie burgers!!!!)  Loved the bumper stickers--they COVER the wall behind the bar.  One of my favorite... oh wait, it may not be appropriate for everyone.  Heck, it's my blog!  "Nice SUV!!!!  Sorry about your penis!"  Or  "If you are going to be a turd, go lay in the yard!"


This little restaurant has EXCELLENT breakfasts!  The flowers in the front are maintained by the previous owners...wait for it...people from "The Farm".  The Farm is a commune outside of town on the way to Chilkat State Park.  The only cost to join The Farm--everything you own.  SMILES.  The current owner also cooks up some great Thai food! 

The fun  and infamous Fog Cutters Bar!!!  Matthew and I had pizza for my birthday dinner here.  The ceiling is as elaborately decorated as the walls.  This is a good place to come for local gossip and free pool on Sunday and Monday nights!

The three grocery stores--
The local "HyVee"

The local "Super Target"

The local "Whole Foods"
Public Buildings--
The school--all inclusive.  Home of the Glacier Bears!!

The police and volunteer fire station

The post office and the ONLY way to send and receive packages--LL Bean is having a difficult time getting my new alarm clock to me...

Sections in the Haines area/town--

This is Fort Seward--used as a military base from 1902-1945.  The buildings have multiple uses now--art galleries, carving studios, Bed & Breakfasts, government buildings etc.  It is fun to walk the square--the buildings are so large and elaborate.  It must have been an amazing site when it was in operation.  
This is the set from the Disney movie, White Fang.  The Klondike Bar (the brown building at the "end of the street") has a few of the movie props and actors' chairs.  The place also has the best salads in town! (Jen, believe it or not, John Smith played in the bar!)  This set is located at the fair grounds for the SE Alaska State Fair.  Smiles, yes, it is within walking distance from the campground!


This is the door for the Eagle Clan's traditional hall/building.  Haines is mostly comprised of First Nations people from the Raven and Eagle clans.

This is my favorite gas station.  Why you ask?  The young man working at the station was willing to get down on his knees AND side, while I was parked at the dumping site, to get the cap off my black water tank--yuck!  He definitely went above and beyond!!!  Oh, those were the gas prices last week. ($4.87 for diesel)  Prices will go up during the winter--more difficult to transport in materials and fuel.
This is one of my favorite little stores--Buckshot and Bobby Pins.  Matt bought me a pair of beautiful earrings from this store.

The Chilkat Valley News--published and distributed every Thursday.
Oh, and if you weren't sure...Dogs RULE everywhere in Alaska!

Hope this finds everyone well and happy.  Matt and I love and miss you all!



No comments:

Post a Comment