Sunday, October 13, 2013

Haines to Bellingham

Okay, THAT is IT!  Any dream/desire/goal of traversing the globe in a water vessel--GONE!  Gone, gone, gone, and very gone!  Oh, and I will be buying stock in Bonine.
Not sure if this was a particularly rough voyage, or just the norm of an open-water crossing.  Either way, I don't care; I do not want to repeat the experience.  
Authors write about the movements and sounds that ships make during storms--I totally get it!  It is true; ships "shudder", "rock", "roll", "surge", "list", "groan", "screech", "buck"...many of these simultaneously!  The announcement was made--"Please stay where you are and do not attempt to move.  If you must move, please use all handrails provided."  Happily, Matthew and I were already in bed, and the beds had railings!  Hold on, we did!  There were a couple of times I thought I would go over the railings!  The second storm hit when we were in the movie theatre...I don't ever want to see The Great Gatsby again!  The memory alone makes me nauseous.
Enough to say--4 nights and 3 days was too much of a not so good thing.
Matthew and I are now on land...albeit an island.  (More about this wonderful place later.)
The Malaspina docked at Ketchikan.  Matt is in the yellow coat walking down into the car deck. 
What is the saying about "red skies and sailors"?

Wonderful new friends--Jeffrey and Mary Ann.  Matt was convinced; he's now a Georgia Bulldog fan!  Jeffrey gave him a shirt to prove it--"Go Dogs! Woof, woof, woof!"

1 comment:

  1. Oh Susan and Matt, how you make me smile :)! Boats and life can be bumpy but you both forge ahead, onward and upward! Georgia Bulldogs? I have a feeling it's more about the dog than the football, at least I hope so anyway (A Big Ten Iowa guy supporting the SEC, good grief :P).
    Red sky at morning, Sailor take warning. Red Sky at Night, Sailor's delight.
    How much sun are you getting now? Short days, long nights? Missing you both. Take care, Love Cindy

    ReplyDelete